Lower Bethel Church was received into Boone's Creek Association in 1824, but the records fail to state where she was located. It is believed to have been located at North Middletown, Bourbon County, Kentucky. The records of the Association show that her messengers in 1824 were, H. Darnal, I. Rash, I. Simms, C. Harris, and B. Mason, and she reported a membership of fifty-five. At the session of the Association in 1829, Lower Bethel Church reported a membership of one hundred and eighty-one, and was one of the six churches that voted for the abolishment of the constitution of Boone's Creek Association. The church never reported to the Association after that year, and presumably she was never affiliated with the Baptists after this. from Baptist History Home Page.
Copyright Notice: This is a free website and shall remain free. All files, original documents, photo's etc. remain the property of the submitter and will not be sold. Nor can they be reproduced in any format or on any other website without written consent from their owner.
Crystal Dingler - County Coordinator
Copyright 2007 - 2015
Mrs. Jerry Taylor - Former County Coordinator
Copyright 2004 - 2007
Searchable Index of Names
Silas Run Baptist Church Register
Note: You still need to go to the pages themselves, as they are rich in information. Often included are dates for joining the church, baptisms, deaths and leaving the church, and, of great interest, the name of the church and sometimes place from which they came. The Register is a great resource. Thanks to Mary Hatton for sharing these pages.
I am solely responsible for any mistakes below. Please email me with any errors you find or further information on this church, other churches or the individuals listed here. Crystal
Last Name 1st name Title 1st Name Page # Page Section
BETHLEHEM, BOURBON COUNTY. This Church suffered from the effects of the so-called "Reformation," and became so discouraged that she dropped association correspondence for several years. She renewed it at the present session of our body, and states that her prospects are encouraging. She has lately received several additions, has preaching once a month, but as yet no regular Pastor. From: Elkhorn Baptist Association (KY), Circular Letter, 1846 By L. W. Seeley. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/1846.cl.ky.elkhorn.histry.html
"Cooper's Run Baptist Church.
The following year a Church was constituted in Bourbon county, not far from where Paris now stands, called Cooper's Run. It was constituted in the midst of privations and dangers, the contemplation of which, even at this distant day, chills the very blood. "On the night of the 11th April, nine months after the establishment of the Church, a widow, named Shanks, a member of the Cooper's Run Church, lived in a lonely cabin in a lonely part of the country. Two grown sons, a widowed daughter, with an infant at her breast, and three unmarried daughters, composed the pious but bereaved family. At midnight, hurried steps were heard, succeeded by sudden knocks at the door, and accompanied by usual exclamation, 'Who keeps house here!' The old lady at once recognized the Indian accent, and springing from her bed, waked her sons. Efforts were made to force the door; but the discharge of the young men's rifles obliged the Indians to shift the attack to a less exposed point. The three girls were in another part of the humble cabin. The door was discovered and soon forced from its hinges, and the oldest daughter tomahawked, the second made a prisoner, while the youngest fled in the confusion, and ran around the cabin, wringing her hands with imploring cries. The mother and brothers within heard her cries, and would have attempted to save her; but a scream, a moan, and all was silent. They knew she had fallen under the hatchet of the merciless foe. Soon the other end of the cabin was in flames. Rapidly they spread, revealing to the helpless inmates the smile of triumph on the dark countenances of their murderers. All was lost. A brief prayer went up from the aged widow, expressing her trust in Him to whom her spirit would soon return. They unbarred the door; and she reached the stile, amid the bright blaze of the burning cabin, she fell, dead. The younger son defended his endeared sister and her babe, and they escaped, while his corpse lay beside that of his mother; and the older brother, wounded, and bleeding, after displaying the most intrepid valor, also escaped. These three survivors, and the five who fell, were members of the Cooper's Run Church." It was composed of Jeyrel Ellis, Edmund Montjoy, Charles Smith, with their families; and, among others, a man, at that time the most intellectual, the most influential, and the most popular man in the district of Kentucky — James Garrard." [A History of Kentucky Baptists, by Ford, http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/kentucky.hist.ford.iv.html ]
In 1787, Cooper's Run, Bourbon County, ounded by by Elder Augustine EastIn
In 1788, Huston Creek, Bourbon County, by Elder Moses Bledsoe.
PARIS, BOURBON COUNTY. This Church records her gratitude for past favors, but complains of present apathy. She has a good Sabbath School which promises to be a great blessing to the rising youth. G. G. Goss Pastor. From: Elkhorn Baptist Association (KY), Circular Letter, 1846 By L. W. Seeley. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/1846.cl.ky.elkhorn.histry.html
SILAS, BOURBON COUNTY. The Church complains of her lukewarmness and inefficiency. She longs for a revival, and prays that the time may soon come when the Gospel shall be carried to the ends of the earth. She solicits an interest in the prayers of sister Chruches. Preaching once a month. J. D. Black Pastor. From: Elkhorn Baptist Association (KY), Circular Letter, 1846 By L. W. Seeley. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/1846.cl.ky.elkhorn.histry.html
In 1791, Taylor's Fork, and Green Creek, in Bourbon County,
Early Ministers in Bourbon County
J. R. Barbee has been one of the most active and useful ministers in Union Association, for a number of years. He was raised up to the ministry, in Mt. Pleasant church, in Jessamine county, which church he represented in Elkhorn Association, from 1845, till 1851. In 1852, he united with Silas church in Bourbon county, where he remained eight years. He then moved within the boundary of Union Association. Of this body, he was Moderator, from 1866, to 1873. He has been pastor of a number of churches, and has performed much missionary labor. He is still actively engaged in the ministry. His son, J. N. Barbee, late of Mt. Olivet, in Robertson county, but now living in Kansas, was one of the most active and useful preachers in that portion of the State. [A History of Kentucky Baptists, By J. H. Spencer, Volume II, 1885, Chapter 1.[Section 6] Union Assn. #2.]
Elder Joseph Barbee served the Harmony Church as pastor in 1848, during which year about twenty were immersed into the fellowship of the church. Elder Barbee is now in the prime of life — a man of zeal and energy in the church. He was originally a Methodist of good standing as a member, and as a young minister; and although he entertained a high regard for his Methodist brethren, yet, after much consideration and prayer, he felt it to be his duty to dissolve his connection with that people, which he did by uniting with the Baptist Church at Stamping Ground, by experience and baptism, about five years since. He has served, as well as Harmony, Caney Fork, Mount Pleasant, and Silas churches, and is now laboring as a missionary under appointment of the General Association of Kentucky, at Cynthiana, Harrison county, Ky., with flattering prospects. He has been very successful in winning souls to Christ. [History of the Kentucky Baptists, History of the Harmony Baptist Church; The Christian Repository, 1858, By Samuel H. Ford, Chapter XVI — History of the Harmony Church [Owen County http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/kentucky.hist.ford.xvi.html]
David Biggs was licensed to preach in Camden county, N.C., in 1791, and was afterwards pastor of Portsmouth church in Norfolk county, Va. Mr. Semple says: "Elder Biggs is a sound and ingenious preacher, and is esteemed by his acquaintances as an exemplary man." He came to Kentucky about the year 1804, and was at different times a member of Indian Creek church in Harrison county, and Silas church in Bourbon. In 1811 he preached the introductory sermon before Elkhorn Association. He labored in Kentucky at least sixteen years, and here, as in Virginia, maintained a good character and was a useful preacher. [A History of Kentucky Baptists, By J. H. Spencer, Chapter 14 — Baptist Transactions in 1790 — Statistics.]
Henry Birchott This Methodist Conference fixed upon a plan for the organization of Bethel Academy, in Jessamine County, and also divided Kentucky into the Lexington and Danville circuits. James Haw, with Henry Birchott, was placed in charge of the Danville Circuit, and Francis Poythress preached on the Lexington Circuit, which included all of Kentucky between the Kentucky and Licking rivers. filsonhistorical.org
Benjamin Coleman settled first in Amherst Co,Va.About 1800 he moved to Trimble Co Ky with his nephew Stephen and their families\[Stephen was a son of James Coleman and Anna Cocke]\. Rev. Benjamin Coleman founded the historic Corn Creek Baptist Church. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/p/a/Marilyn-J-Spangenberg-KS/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0043.html
CORN CREEK church is located in Trimble county, some eight or nine miles north of Bedford, the county seat. It takes its name from a small stream which flows not far from it. It was gathered by the famous old pioneer, John Taylor, and was constituted of about 20 members, in the fall of 1800. It united with Salem Association the following year. There were about fifty families in this isolated settlement, when Mr. Taylor moved to it, in 1802. But after this, it filled up pretty rapidly, and the little church grew to a membership of 65, within less than three years. In 1803, it entered into the constitution of Long Run Association, and in 1826, went into the constitution of Sulphur Fork Association, to which it reported, the following year, 125 members. Of this fraternity, it remains a member till the present time.
From the peculiar teaching of John Taylor, on the subject, Corn Creek church had no pastor, for at least 27 years from its constitution, but was ministered to, by whatever preacher, or preachers, happened to be of its membership. John Taylor was its principal preacher, from its constitution, till 1815. Philemon Vawter, George Kendal and William Buckley, also labored among its members during its history. The church disapproved of Freemasonry, and had a good deal of confusion on that subject.
From the time this church entered into Sulphur Fork Association, till 1864, it was one of the most prosperous in that fraternity. At the latter date, it numbered 333 members. But, in 1865, the colored members separated from it, and a number of its most efficient white members were dismissed to go intothe constitution of Locust church in Carroll county. Since that period, the old church appears to have withered. In 1879, it numbered 98 members. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/spencer.ky.bap.v1.chp24.html
Lewis Corban, son of William Corban, was born in Culpeper county, Va., April 4, 1754. He was raised up on his father's farm, receiving a very meagre [sic] education. His father's family were all irreligious, and he gave no attention to the interest of his soul, till he was about thirty years of age. At this time, he became deeply impressed with the importance of eternal things. After a long struggle, he obtained hope in Jesus, and was baptized by John Pickett, in 1786. He began immediately to speak to the people about the blessed peace he enjoyed through the Savior, and gave such evidence of a call to the ministry, as induced his church to have him ordained the same year. Soon after his ordination, he was called to a church over the Blue Ridge, where he continued to preach till he moved to Kentucky. In 1797, he was called to the care of Grassy Lick church, located about seven miles north-east from Mt. Sterling, Ky. During the great revival of 1801-2, he baptized 127 into the fellowship of that church. Among these, were his son Samuel, and a little girl named Polly Colver only eight years old.
About 1804, he moved to Bourbon county, settled near the mouth of Pretty Run, and took charge of Stony Point church. He lived at this place about twelve years, when, having lost three sons, from disease which he supposed to have been caused by an adjacent mill-pond, he moved his residence to the lower end of the county, but still retained the care of Stony Point church. His charge enjoyed a very moderate degree of prosperity. In 1825, it attained a membership of 69, after which, like most of the other churches in Licking Association, it gradually declined. Mr. Corban continued the pastor of Stony Point church till old age necessitated his resignation. Towards the close of his life, he was much afflicted with "gravel." He died from the effects of a fall, April 1, 1840.
Mr. Corban was a man of strong mind, and was well versed in the sacred Scriptures. He was very successful in his early ministry. But, becoming identified with Licking Association of Particular Baptists, the system of doctrine and practice held by that fraternity, cramped his genius and chilled his zeal, so that the remainder of his ministry was comparatively fruitless. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
Albert G. Curry was called from Paris, Kentucky, to the church at Shelbyville, about the beginning of 1842. At the latter place, a precious work of grace attended his ministry, and 170 converts were baptized, the first year. In this wonderful revival, he was assisted by A. D. Sears. The next year, after baptizing 10, Mr. Curry resigned, most probably on account of failing health. He died in 1844.
Biographies of Long Run Association, A History of Kentucky Baptists, Volume 2; 1886-7, p. 183. . By J. H. Spencer
Ambrose Dudley was born in Spottsylvania county, Virginia, in 1750. At the commencement of the American Revolution he entered the Colonial Army with a captain's commission. While stationed at Williamsburg he became interested about the salvation of his soul, about the same time that the church in the neighborhood of his residence was making special prayer to God to send it a pastor. As if in answer to its prayer Mr. Dudley returned home a child of grace. Uniting with the church he expressed a desire to spend the remainder of his life in the gospel ministry, and was soon afterwards set apart to that holy calling. After preaching with much acceptance several years he moved with his young family to Kentucky, arriving at his destination, six miles east of Lexington, May 3, 1786. Within a few weeks after his arrival he took charge of the church at Bryant's. Here and at David's Fork church, and perhaps at other points, he ministered till the Master took him to himself. He was always prominent among the pioneer preachers of Kentucky. His fine natural gifts, his superior education, and his clear, practical judgment made him a leader in the business affairs of the churches and associations. He was a preacher of much zeal, but his zeal was tempered by wisdom. He was often moderator of the two associations of which his church was a member at different periods, and was one of the committee that arranged the terms of general union between the Regular and Separate Baptists of Kentucky, in 1801. From the time he came to Kentucky, in 1786, till 1808, few preachers in the State baptized more people than he. During this period his church belonged to Elkhorn Association, and he was among the leaders in all its transactions. But, in 1809, that body split, and Mr. Dudley, with a large majority of Bryant's church, entered into the constitution of Licking Association, formed of one of the divisions. He was a leader in this body, as he had been in Elkhorn, but he was now advanced in life, the association itself gradually decayed, and he was not so useful after his connection with it as he had been before. He continued to labor faithfully, however, till the Lord called him to the better country, Jan. 27, 1825, aged 73.
The cotemporaries of Mr. Dudley unite in ascribing to him a most excellent character. Elder James E. Welsh, who was raised up under his ministry, says of him: "His manners and general habits seemed to indicate that he was born for discipline. The very glance of his piercing eye was often sufficient to awe into silence. In his personal appearance he was unusually erect and neat, so that once when a stranger asked, in Lexington, where he could be found, he was told to walk down the street, and the first man he met having on a superfine black coat, without a single mote upon it, would be Ambrose Dudley. And but few men have ever lived and died in the ministry who kept their garmentsmore unspotted from the world. He was highly calvinistic in his sentiments, and of unbending firmness where he thought truth and duty were involved. Whenever it was known that he had an appointment to preach, the universal declaration was, 'whether it rain or shine, Brother Dudley will be there.' He never disappointed any engagement he made, unless sickness or some equally unavoidable providence prevented. In family discipline he was very decided. He never spoke but once. In political or worldly matters he took but little interest, except within the limits of his own plantation. He was a man of God, whose praise is in all the churches throughout the region where he labored. He died at the "horns of the altar." A writer in Rippon's Register1, supposed to be Samuel Trott, says: "Ambrose Dudley has been preaching about fourteen years, is well established in the doctrines of grace, a good natural orator, warm and affectionate in preaching, a persevering man whose labors the Lord has abundantly blessed, an example of piety and self-denial, and his praise is in the churches."
Mr. Dudley was married in youth to Miss N. Parker, in his native State. He raised eleven sons and three daughters. At the time of his death he had nearly 100 grand children. Of his sons, Benjamin Winslow Dudley was one of the most distinguished surgeons in America. Thomas Parker Dudley, who was still living (March, 1885) in his 95th year, has been for many years the most distinguished preacher among the Particular Baptists in Kentucky, and the remaining nine were all men of prominence in their various callings.
The Dudleys have been men of strongly marked characteristics, bearing strong impressions of those of their reverend ancestor. They have been men of strong symmetrical intellects, of unflinching integrity and firmness, and of dauntless courage. They have possessed practical intelligence rather than genius, frankness and candor rather than suavity and blandishments, and have been strong props rather than brilliant ornaments to society. There have been among them preachers, lawyers, doctors, bankers, soldiers and farmers, all prominent in their callings. But there have been among them no poets, no painters, no orators and no rhetoricians, on the one hand, and on the other hand no dandies, no loafers and no mendicants, at least till the blood of their noble ancestors has become much diluted in the remoter generations. How hath God blessed, and made a blessing, the numerous seed of his faithful servant and hand maiden. Surely the promises of God are all yea and amen. [A History of Kentucky Baptists, By J. H. Spencer, Chapter 10: Bryants, Town Fork, Boone Creeks and Tate Creek Churches]
James E. Duval, M. D. is among the oldest preachers in Kentucky. He was raised up to the ministry, at Silas church, in Bourbon county, as early as 1831. Some years later, he moved to Owen county, and united with Bethel church, of which he is still a member. He is the only preacher living, who was in the constitution of the Kentucky Baptist Convention, in 1832, and one of the very few remaining on earth, who were in the organization of the General Association, in 1837. In his early ministry, he was quite successful as a missionary; but, for many years past, he has been engaged in the practice of medicine, and has done comparatively little in the way of preaching. [A History of Kentucky Baptists By J. H. Spencer, Volume II, 1885 Chapter 1.[Section 7] Baptist History Homepage: http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/spencer.ky.bap.v2.sect7.html]
Augustine Eastin appears to have been the first and only pastor of Cowpers Run church. He was a brilliant man, of good social standing and irreproachable morals, but was unstable in his opinions. For a time he kept within such bounds, of recognized orthodoxy as to be tolerated by the churches, and was useful in the ministry; but his propensity to ape men of distinction led him to such extremes in error that he was finally cut off from the Baptist ministry.
Augustine Eastin was among the early converts to Christianity in Goochland county, Virginia, under the ministry of Samuel Harriss and others. He becamea member of Dover church, in that county, and soon afterward entered the ministry. His zeal in his holy calling procured him a term in Chesterfield jail. He was, however, in good company, for William Webber, Joseph Anthony, John Weatherford. John Tanner, Jeremiah Walker and David Tinsley, a noble, godly band of Christian ministers, were incarcerated in the same prison for preaching the gospel.
Mr. Eastin emigrated to Kentucky in 1784, and remained for a time in Fayette county, but afterwards settled in Bourbon. He and James Garrard, then a preacher, and afterwards Governor of Kentucky, gathered Cowpers Run church, in 1787. To this church Mr. Eastin preached with good success until he embraced Arianism, when he and the church of which he was pastor were cut off from the fellowship of the Baptist churches. Mr. Semple speaks of him after this manner "Augustine Eastin, though a man of some talents, was never any credit to the cause of truth. He appears to have been always carried away with the opinions of others whom he wished to imitate. Sometimes he was a professed and positive Calvinist. Then shifting about, he is a warm Arminian. Then to the right about again, he is reconvinced that Calvinism is the only true way. Having moved to Kentucky, he finds some professors of high standing in civil life who lean to the Arian scheme. Mr. Eastin soon becomes their champion, and even writes a pamphlet in defense of Arianism. Mr. Eastin's moral character has not been impeached. On this head both he and his coadjutors are men of high respectability." [A History of Kentucky Baptists, By J. H. Spencer, Chapter 11: Cowpers Run, Lick Creek, Boones Creek, Marble Creek and Hanging Fork Churches, South Kentucky Association http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/spencer.ky.bap.v1.chp11.html]
Guerdon Gates was born in New London, Conn. in 1796. At the age of sixteen he started to go South, but being detained on his journey by a slight accident, he entered Washington College, where he graduated with honor. He afterwards studied theology, but at what institution is not known. He then filled a professorship in the college from which he had graduated, two or three years. Having been set apart to the ministry, he moved to Bourbon county, Kentucky, about 1823, and was soon afterwards called to the care of the Baptist church in Paris. Here he preached and conducted a female seminary about ten years. In 1833 he moved to Mayslick in Mason county, where he remained two years. In 1835 he moved to Louisville. After this, he only preached occasionally. He maintained an exalted Christian character, and was prominently connected with the benevolent institutions of the city more than twenty years. He was a man of great simplicity of manners, arid was much loved by a large circle of acquaintances. He died about 1858. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
Abner Goodell is supposed to have been an Eastern man; but he came to Kentucky while young, and was identified with the interests of the Baptist denomination in this State for a number of years. He was pastor of the churchat Paris in Bourbon county, as early as 1838. In 1839, he accepted a call to Drennons Creek church, at Newcastle, in Henry county. To this church he ministered about five years. During the first three years the church was cold and uncomfortable. Only four persons were baptized in the three years. But, in 1842, a most joyous refreshing from the Lord visited the church, during which 121 converts were baptized. Mr. Goodell was so overcome with a sense of the goodness of God, that during much of the time of the revival, he could do little else than sit on the pulpit step and weep aloud. The revival continued during a portion of next year, during which 33 more were baptized. In 1844, he took charge of the church at Frankfort, to which he ministered three years, and baptized for its membership 50 persons. Success appeared to crown his labors wherever he went. But his health was failing, and he resolved to seek a milder climate. Accordingly, he resigned his charge at Frankfort, and moved to Franklin county, Mississippi, where he fell asleep in Jesus, Oct., 1, 1848. Of this good and useful minister, John L. Waller said: "He was long a resident in Kentucky, having filled several important agencies, and having been pastor successively of the churches at Paris, New Castle and Frankfort, at all of which places his labors were much blessed. He was an able and eloquent minister of the New Testament." Biographies of Long Run Association, A History of Kentucky Baptists, Volume 2; 1886, p. 183. . By J. H. Spencer
John W. Kenney was a young man of fine talent, and was much beloved for his sincere piety. He united with the church in Paris, Bourbon county, in 1840, and was licensed to preach in April, of the following year. He was ordained in December, 1842. The following February, he was called to the care of the church in Paris, to which he ministered till the Lord bade him cease from his 1abors. He died June 6, 1852. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
John B. Longan was probably the ablest of the early preachers in Stocktons Valley Association. In his boyhood, he came
with his parents from Virginia to Bourbon county, Kentucky. Here he received a common English education. He united with the church in early life. He had learned the art of brick laying, but soon after he found hope in Christ, he began to warn sinners to repent, with much zeal. He was soon regularly ordained to the ministry. Shortly after his marriage, he moved to Barren county, and settled near Glasgow. Here he remained but a short time, when he moved to the Cumberland river in what is now Monroe county. This was about 1810. He gave his membership to Cumberland church, on the opposite side of the river from his residence, and in Cumberland county. He was called to succeed Levi Rhoden in the pastoral care of this church, and was also called to the care of Mt. Pleasant in Barren county. To these churches, and to the people in a large area of country around and between them, he preached with acceptance and success about ten years. Up to this time, no such a preacher had labored in that region of country. In 1812, John Mulky was excluded from the Baptists for having joined the Newlights,and, the same year, Mr. Longan succeeded him as Moderator of Stocktons Valley Association. He held this position six years, and preached the introductory sermon before that body, on at least three occasions.
In 1821, he moved to Clay county, Missouri. Here he took a leading position among the ministers of the new State. J. M. Peck wrote of a visit he made, in company with Mr. Longan, to the Fishing River Association, in 1824. Speaking of the preaching on Sunday, he says: "He [Wm. Thorp] was followed by J. B. Longan, and, for effective preaching on such occasions, his equal had not then appeared in Missouri."
In this field, he labored faithfully until the Lord called him to his reward, about A.D. 1850. In his early ministry, Mr. Longan was a hyper-calvinist in doctrine, but soon so modified his views as to call on all men to repent. He had a strong, melodious voice, which he used with great fluency. He often wept freely while he plead with men to turn to the Lord Jesus and be saved, and his preaching went to the hearts of sinners, with mighty power.
John Lyle moved to Paris in 1806 and founded a girls school, the earliest in the West, and one of the first exclusively for girls in the United States.
Paris became the home of a "School of the Prophets" in 1806 when West Lexington Presbytery appointed John Lyle to instruct candidates for the ministry in theology. Many young men were trained under his tuition. The reason so many young men, at an early day, entered the Presbyterian ministry from the church in Paris was due to the fact that they had come from elsewhere to study under Lyle and had united with the Paris Church.
On May 4, 1813, John Lyle and John Todd Edgar advertised in the Western Citizen a "Literary and Theological School." Source: Presbyterianism in Paris and Bourbon County, Kentucky, 1786-1961 by Rev. Robert Stuart Sanders, D. D. Louisville, Kentucky: The Dunne Press, 1961.
Rev. John Lyle, of Paris, Ky. Died in July, 1825, aged 55 years. KY Obits 1787-1854
William Marshall was born 1735 at Washington Parish, Westmoreland Co., VA; he married Mary Ann Pickett, daughter of William Pickett and Elizabeth Cooke, 27 Jan 1763; he died 1809 at Eminence, Henry Co., KY. He and Mary Ann Pickett had 4 children. He was a Baptist minister. He resided in 1752 at near Germantown, Fauquier Co., VA. He resided in 1765 at near Markham, Fauquier Co., VA. He resided in 1780 at Lincoln Co., KY. He resided at Eminence, Henry Co., KY.
William Marshall was the first permanent preacher in the State [Kentucky]. "His tall, graceful form, dark piercing eye and engaging manners made him the pride of the circle in which he moved." There were six Baptist preachers in Kentucky as early as 1780, but there were no churches. Elder William Marshall, uncle of Chief Justice Marshall, and belonging to a family of intellectual force in Virginia and Kentucky, was the earliest settled minister in the territory.
In 1783 John Taylor settled in Central Kentucky. He and Joseph Redding visited. Kentucky in 1779, and after a brief sojourn returned. Mr. Redding moved his family to this State in 1789. These men of strong sense, and of deep piety and great usefulness, were converted under the preaching of Elder William Marshall, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, previous to his removal to this State.
COVE SPRING, afterwards called Stony Point, church was constituted of thirteen members, dismissed from Hanging Fork, in the eastern part of Mercer county, in 1791. It was probably gathered by William Marshall, who was the only Regular Baptist preacher, laboring in that region, at that time Mr. Marshall was a member of Hanging Fork church, as well as its pastor, and had his residence in the Southeastern part of Shelby county, "at a place called the Knobs." Stony Point church united with Elkhorn Association, in August of the same year in which it was constituted. It remained a member of that body, till 1808, at which time it contained forty-seven members. It finally dissolved, several years ago. Various exerpts from http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/
Jonathan Paddox was among the earliest preachers of Russells Creek Association. He was a native of Pennsylvania, from
whence he moved to Kentucky, before it was a state, and settled in Bourbon county. Here he united with a Separate Baptist church called Huston, by which he was licensed to preach, in 1792. About the year 1800, he moved to what is now LaRue county, and united with South Fork church. Here he labored with the old pioneers, in laying the foundation of some of the early churches of that region. He assisted Allexander McDougal in gathering Nolin church, in 1803; and preached some years to the church of which he was a member. In 1814, he moved to Harrison county, Indiana, and settled near Corrydon. Two years later he returned to Kentucky, and took charge of South Fork church, which had been divided on the subject of slavery, under the ministry of Thomas Whitman, their former pastor. Under the care of good old "father Paddox," the church was soon restored to harmony. But the aged minister was now becoming too feeble to labor, and, about 1820, he returned to his children, in Indiana, and soon afterward went to his final Rest.
Mr. Paddox possessed very moderate preaching talent; but he was truly a good man, and much beloved, and he honored his Master and made a good impression on society. (from Spencer's Baptiist History, part 2)
William Rash was the leading minister in this small fraternity. He was a native of Virginia, and was born Feb. 13, 1783. In his youth he was brought by his parents to Kentucky, where he was bred to the trade of a hatter. During the great revival of 1801, he professed religion, and was baptized by Ambrose Dudley into the fellowship of Davids Fork church in Fayette county. In 1812, he moved his membership to Friendship church in Clark county, where it remained the rest of his life. In August of the same year, he entered the army, was afterwards promoted to a captaincy, was in the disastrous battle of River Rasin, and was taken prisoner by the British On being paroled, he returned home, and resumed the occupation of a hatter.
On the 26th of April, 1823, he was ordained to the gospel ministry, by Ambrose Dudley, John Shackleford and Henry Toler, and accepted the pastoral charge of Friendship church, a position he continued to occupy about thirty-six years. He was also pastor of the churches at Mt. Nebo in Madison county, Boones Creek and Town Fork, in Fayette co., and, at the time of his death, Stony Point in Bourbon. He died of paralysis, June 9, 1859. Mr. Rash was regarded a good preacher, and was held in high esteem by the people among whom he labored. Although he identified himself with the Anti-missionary Baptists, after the split on the subject of missions, he was conservative in his ministrations, and enjoyed a good degree of success in winning souls to Christ. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/spencer.ky.bap.v2.sect15.html
George C. Sedwick was a native of Virginia, from whence he moved to Zanesville, Ohio. Here he conducted a religious periodical, styled the Baptist Miscellany as early as 1829. Where, or at what time, he was set apart to the gospel ministry is not known. After preaching some years in Ohio he moved to Frankfort, Kentucky in 1837. He represented the Frankfort church in the convention that formed the General Association at Louisville in October of the same year, and was an active member of that body during his stay in the State. In 1840 he took charge of the Baptist church at Paris in Bourbon county. In 1843 he moved to Georgetown, where he remained a brief period and then moved back to Zanesville, Ohio. Here he spent the remainder of his days. He was a good preacher, and was active in the benevolent enterprises of the denomination. His son, W. S. Sedwick, was a well known Sunday school missionary, in Kentucky about the close of the late civil war. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
James Sims was a native of Virginia, and was born about the year 1768. He moved with a large family to Bourbon county, Kentucky in 1812. Here he united with the church at Paris. He afterwards joined Lower Bethel church, where he was an ordained minister as early as 1822. He was cut off from the Baptists with the Campbellite faction in 1830. After this he moved to Oldham county, where he died, April 26, 1856, in the 88th year of his age. Of his life and ministry little is now known. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
William C. Stribling (from the "Annals of Methodism in Missouri: Containing an Outline of the Ministerial Life of More Than One ...", a character worthy of the pen of a ready writer, was born in Albemarle county, Va., March 18, 1795; converted October 12, 1810; licensed to exhort, 1813, and to preach, January 24. 1813; acquitted on trial -into the Tennessee Conference in October of the same year, and sent to Clinch circuit under Ben Malone ; 1814, Missouri circuit; 1815, Henderson, Ky. ; 1816, Green River; 1817, Fountviin Head; 1818, Madison; 1819, Danville; 1830, Lexington and Georgetown; 1821, Lexington; 1822, Mount Sterling; 1823, located; readmitted in 1824, and served Mount Sterling, Limestone and Fleming circuits, and located again in 1827. He died in Jacksonville, 111., December 18, 1872.
Mr. Stribling was more than an ordinary man. Bishop Kavcnaugh said in his semi-centennial sermon that he was *'the most remarkable preacher he had ever known.'* He was a veritable book-worm. He read everything and forgot nothing. His style was sometimes stilted. A young man was once smoking in his presence, when he broke the following jargon over his head :
Sir, the deleterious effluvia emanating from your tobacconistic resen'oir so obfuscates my ocular optics, and so distributes its infec- tious particles with the atmospheric fluidity surrounding me, that my respirable apparatus must shortly be obtunded, unless through the abundant suavity of your pre-eminent politeness, you will disembogue that luminous tube from the pungent, stimulating and sternatory ingredient which replenishes the rotundity of the vastness of its cavity.
George Varden, D.D. PH.D. L.L. D., was born in Norfolk county, England, December 9, 1830. He was raised up in the church of England, but while attending an academy, he experienced a change of heart, and was baptized by John Williams, into the fellowship of a Baptist church. He had received a good primary education, and was licensed to preach at the age of eighteen years. Soon after this, he came to the United States. After traveling two years, he entered Georgetown college, where he graduated in 1858. He immediately took charge of the church at Paris, in Bourbon county, where he still resides He has been pastor at different periods of the churches at Colemansville, Mayslick, Falmouth, Florence and Indian Creek. Dr. Varden has devoted himself enthusiastically to study, and is one of the leading scholars of the country. He has written extensively for the leading periodicals of the country, and is well known in Europe, as well as in the land of his adoption, as a scholarly author. http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/elkhorn.bios.html
Lau Ave Groffotj
Nicholas Wood Probably Methodist.
(Transcription of a History by Alan Dorschug, 4/13/08)
The first church in Ruddles Mill was the Stoner Mouth Presbyterian Church,
organized in October 1786. Mt. Carmel Christian Church was built in 1822-23.
The present Methodist Church was erected about 185O. Also, there was a
Presbyterian Church at Shawhan.
The Church of Christ (Christian Church) was organized at Ruddles Mill, in the
Fall of 1841.
...The foundation was laid, as Bro. James Fisher lay on his death bed, and
being what was called a radical Methodist, by his reading of the Scriptures,
was convinced of the truth of the Reformation. He sent for Bro. John A. Gano
and on his bed of affliction, confessed the Savior, and expressed a wish to
have a Church established, at Ruddles Mill, upon the Bible and the Bible
alone. The people united with the Church, at that time were; Sarah Fisher
Dimett, Hannah Fisher and Anne Fisher. William Fisher, the father of Bro.
James Fisher, confessed the Savior, but refused to submit to immersion, -
therefore, he was not received into the Church.
The Church was established, mainly through the efforts of Mr. Gano who
succeeded in gathering a substantial following for the Ruddles Mill Christian
Church. Other Elders were Samuel Rodgers, Willis O. Collins, Fleming Wyatt
and W. A. Stewart. Deacons were Quinca A. Houston, John MeNear, George W.
Wyatt, Sr., and George W. Bowen They took their membership to Mt. Carmel, for
a while, before the building was completed. They were often refused the use
of either House of worship, in Ruddles Mill. The Church lingered along,
through many persecutions, from the sects and the world.
Nothing much was done, until the Fall of 1853, when that peerless and noble
man, John, T. Johnson, commenced a series of meetings, assisted by Elder
Samuel Rodgers, and reorganized the Church and urged the members to start on
their new building.
An acre of ground was purchased, from the Dr. Preston Lindsay heirs, for
$400.00. David Tate hauled the stone, for the foundation, with a team of
oxen. The foundation was laid by Hiram Toadvine. A rectangular, wooden
structure was built, at. the cost of $2,700.00 and completed in June, 1855.
A dedication service was conducted, by Bro. R. C. Ricketts, Sr., to one of
the largest congregations ever to assemble at Ruddles Mill. There were 66
additions and $800.00 was raised to pay off the Church debt.
In the early years, many revivals were held. In a letter, Bro. John T.
Johnson wrote in 1853, he says that the house and the yard were filled up. In
June 1855, Bro..Johnson wrote; 'In six days we had 60 additions. The meeting
continued a week longer, with 10 additions.' In February 1859, the membership
had grown to 154. By June 1876, the number of persons united with the Church
was 154. In February 188l, the number united with the Church, by confession
and otherwise, amounted to 288 members. Elders, at this time were; Willis
Coilins, H. C. Eals, H. R. Wyatt and William Isgrig. Deacons were; John R.
Montgomery, David Tate, Harry Eals and Larkin Munrow. In the early years, the
records show many Ministers came and went. An average length of stay was
probably a year.
J. R. Montgomery presented the Church with a handsome Communion Service,
which was used until the early 1920's. A pulpit Bible was given to the Church
by the Preston Lindsay heirs, in 1867.
There was also one given by Lillie Cromwell Victor, in 1887.
These old Bibles are preserved in a cabinet built and donated to the Church
by Mr. a Mrs. Ray Keller, in 1966.
The earliest, available records, for Sunday School, show that October 1903,
the Bible School had 5 teachers and 49 members present., with an offering of
$1.18. The next records were in 1922. They show 4 officers, 6 teachers and 53